- Lots of people all over the world know Auld Lang Syne but have never heard of Robert Burns.
- In Catalunya they call that song 'És L'Hora Dels Adiéus'
- Burns died age 37 only a few days after writing to a cousin pleading for money to pay a bill
- As with many genius' he died in poverty but his funeral was attended by thousands
- The traditional of Burns Suppers was started by his friends after his death and the food is based on his favourite dishes
- The bawdy poems are available on the internet and some of them are very funny*
- For 5 people you do need two vegetarian haggis - everyone had second helpings!
- Cock-a-Leekie soup has prunes in it but you can't tell when you eat it
- Cock-a-Leekie Soup
- Haggis with Neeps and Tatties
- Cranachan with ginger biscuits instead of shortbread
- Oatcakes with French cheeses (in honour of the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France)
- Whisky - 10 year 12 year and 18 year
The whole menu was vegetarian although I read last week that the vegetarian haggis is a mythical creature - they are a carnivorous species!
Here are our lovely MacGuests- thanks so much for getting into the spirit of the evening!
And I'll finish with a Scottish joke to remind us of the strange link between the Scots and the Catalans who are both the butts of this kind of joke!
A Thoughtful Scottish HusbandDid you hear about the thoughtful Scotsman who was heading out to the pub? He turned to his wee wife before leaving and said, 'Jackie - put your hat and coat on lassie.'
She replied, 'Awe Iain that's nice - are you taking me to the pub with you?'
'Nah, I'm just switching the central heating off while I'm oot.'
*If you want to see the one I read out then leave me a comment and I'll print it!